Thursday, October 17, 2013

A matter of faith

I'm on the NY subway, wondering how I would ever get around this city without my smartphone. Ok, yeah, a map would do the trick; let's leave that aside for the moment. Living and spending time in the city and public transit has helped me to realize how useful the phone can be. It also helped me realize how much faith I put in it. Navigating the city underground, I trust that this tiny black box with its glowing screen is going to help me reach the goal. And it almost never fails!

Life is kind of like navigating a new city. So many directions to go, and so many different ways to get there. A guide sure would be helpful! Thank God for the Holy Spirit. The Spirit knows "the city" and helps us reach the goal and all the best stops along the way.

The challenge is to put even more faith in the Spirit than I do in my phone! How easy it is to trust a simple thing like a phone; how much riskier it is to do so with a God who has plans which might look different than what we want or what we're comfortable with. How much do I trust God? How much do you trust God? It's a matter of trust. It's a matter of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment